Neighborhood Scavenging

I was feeling guilty this morning after dumping an old, broken window A/C unit on the curb for trash pick-up, when a run-down red truck came and took it off to recycling heaven.




That's our ancient unit teetering on the back of the truck, precariously held in with just a bit of twine. This man in the red truck appears without fail every time I throw out something metal - an old weight bench, extra downspouts, etc.

It reminds me of the time we got rid of these hideous awnings for by posting an ad on craigslist:


The next morning at 7 am a complete stranger removed them, taking the trash along as payment!

Cecelia does not quite understand the concept of neighborhood metal scavenging. She nearly cried when the unit got picked up and has been asking me why "the guy took my air conditioner and went away" for the past few hours.