Mushrooms that Eat Diapers

I'm a big fan of cloth diapers. They are cute, functional, easy, and good for the planet, and I want this one to have a nice planet to grow old in:



Well, a world with landfills filled with disposable diapers doesn't sound like a very nice one. Disposable diapers can take hundreds of years to decompose, and we are running out of space to store them. The folks at Real Diaper Association tell us that 27.4 billion diapers a year are used in the United States alone and 92% of them end up in landfills.

Apparently there is a new solution for the disposal of disposable diapers: mushrooms! These mushrooms thrive on the main component of disposable diapers and are actually edible. I'm not sure that I'd want to eat the mushrooms, but I'd love to see the next generation of Diaper Genie pails live up to their magical name and turn dirty diapers into food.

In the meantime, I'll stick with cloth. Did I mention how cute they are?